Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Chapter 12

NOTE: Page numbers refer to the Barnes & Noble Classics paperback edition.

Background Information/Vocabulary:

  • "posy" and "nosegay" (p. 122)--both words mean a small bunch of flowers
  •  "water bug" (p. 126)--from the context, I assume this refers to one of those skittery little bugs that goes across the top of the water, not to a cockroach (I had never heard "water bug" for cockroach until I moved to New York City.)

My Noticings:
  •  I can't say that I love the characterization of Frank Vaughn, the twin who uses a crutch, as "gentle and feeble" but I suppose disability politics were not what they are now.  (Also, in the same sentence on p. 126, he is described as the "lame" twin; while this usage has pretty much disappeared, this is why I made the attempt to stop calling things I didn't like "lame" when it was pointed out to me that it used to refer to people with physical disabilities.  Just something to be aware of.)
  • This story they all tell as a group may be a fascinating exercise in characterization but I've always thought that this is the kind of game that's only fun if you're playing it; hearing about it later or reading a transcript is a bit of a slog.
Final Thoughts: 


This chapter really builds on the ones that precede it--we see the P.O. in action; Jo gets a note from Marmee about her quest to conquer her temper, Laurie makes fun of Jo's disastrous dinner party but we also see that Jo has learned a thing or two since then, and we see how Ned Moffat feels about Meg after her appearance at his family's party.  It also sets up Mr. Brooke, who becomes a much more important character going forward. 

Question for readers:

When the game Truth is proposed--a game which requires the players to be completely open and honest about any question asked of them--"Miss Kate and Mr. Brooke, Meg, and Ned declined."  Why do you think these four characters opted out?  What have you seen in this chapter that could provide clues?

No comments:

Post a Comment