Friday, July 19, 2013

Chapters 30-31

NOTE: Page numbers refer to the Barnes & Noble Classics paperback edition.

Background Information/Vocabulary:
  • This might seem obvious, but really think about it: Amy and company had to take an ocean voyage to get to Europe.  They were on a ship!  For days and days!  Which means, in order to get home again, they face a voyage of the same length.  And that was just to cross the Atlantic Ocean.  I have no idea how anyone ever traveled anywhere.  I'd be constantly terrified that something would happen back home and I wouldn't be able to get there.  (Not to mention, I wouldn't know about it: they had only just, at the time of Amy's sailing, sent the first telegraph across the Atlantic Ocean--which meant that news still mostly traveled at the speed of boats.)


My Noticings: 

  • Geez, Mrs. Chester should feel bad.  It's one thing for teenagers to treat each other badly (not that it's a trait unique to teenagers, to be sure) but for an adult to actually get involved in the fight is kind of gross.  I mean, the book says as much, but really.  
  • On a related note: I like Amy's style here.  Nothing upsets immature jerks more than finding that their obnoxious behavior is met with politeness and maturity.  (I wonder, actually, if this is where I learned that?)
  • There's so much hinting at the future at the end of chapter 30--I won't even say foreshadowing, really, with lines like "little dreaming that he would be called upon to keep his word." (p. 302)   There's also Jo and Amy's conversation about whether Amy will wind up teaching art or marrying well--Jo's predictions "sometimes come to pass" and Amy's wishes "are always granted", so it seems that there's little suspense left on that point.
  • It always strikes me as kind of funny to hear characters from so long ago talk about seeing historical relics!  I know that's silly, but I guess it's easy to lump "history" together as if it all happened at once.

Final Thoughts:
This is quite a turn for Amy, although I suppose these letters cover quite a while.  It's interesting to see the more grown-up, rational version of the little girl who just wanted nice dresses and jewelery trying to make her way in the world.

Question for readers:

If you were Amy, would you want to marry Fred?  Explain your answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment