Monday, July 15, 2013

Chapters 21-23

NOTE: Page numbers refer to the Barnes & Noble Classics paperback edition.

Background Information/Vocabulary:




  • "petulantly" (p. 205)--to be petulant is to be childishly sulky or angry; Meg's declaration that she might never want to have anything to do with love just because Laurie played a prank on her is a childish ("petulant") response to the situation
  • "abase" (p. 206)--to degrade or lower
     
  •  "philander" (p. 221)--this is an unusual use of the word, because it usually has a sexual connotation--that is, people who enter freely into casual sexual relationships, especially cheating on significant others or spouses--and Jo certainly doesn't mean that of Meg.  But generally it has to do with people who get into relationships easily.
My Noticings:  

  • One reason why Meg is so vain about her hands is that hands were often seen as a status symbol.  Hands with soft, fair skin meant that their owner did not have to do rough work like cooking, washing dishes or laundry (remember that this is before the modern washing machine, so laundry was a long, strenuous process involving tubs of hot water), or other tasks that might leave hands burned, chapped, or reddened.  The fact that she's willing to mar her pretty hands cooking for Beth is really something, almost on par with Jo cutting off her hair.
  • Ok, I've read this book at least ten times: why would I read the scene where Mr. March comes back in a coffee shop?  I know I'm gonna cry when that happens.  Obviously.  Sigh. 
  • This last chapter, with all the Meg and John business, is giving me such a hard time.  On the one hand, I really love them, and I love what we'll go on to see of their marriage.  I think Meg's defense of John to Aunt March is lovely and I think the two of them are super-cute.  On the other hand, I have some issues.  I suppose I can get over the fact that Meg is a teenager--it was a different time, etc.  and I don't believe John is meant to be terribly old, although he's certainly got a few years on her.  But he's described as almost smug while he's proposing--like he knows he's going to get what he wants--and then Meg sitting on his lap "wearing an expression of the most abject submission" is really too much to bear.  I guess if Alcott herself identified with Jo, this isn't surprising, but I had never really stopped to notice those troubling details.
Final Thoughts: 




Alcott ends the first part of the book where she began it: at Christmas.  This part--actually, the entirety of the book as it was originally published--has a happy ending, with everything all tied up.  The family is together, and is poised to gain a new member.  Even so, I'm glad we have part two now, because some of my favorite scenes are still to come!

Question for readers:

How do you feel about Meg and John?  Are you excited for them, or do you side with Jo and regard the whole thing with doom and gloom?  What do you know about the characters that informs your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment